After a couple's relationship ends, it is common for the
custodial parent to seek financial support for the needs of the children. In the event
that the parents split amicably, they can often work together to create
a support plan that fits their family's needs. If the couple cannot
agree on a support plan, however, the judge will use the state's guideline
calculation to decide how much
child support should be ordered.
The guideline used by the court assesses a number of factors, including:
- The parents' income and their potential income
- Each parent's actual tax filing status
- Any additional income received by both parents
- The number of children the parents have together
- Whether either parent is supporting children from other relationships
- The amount of time each parent spends with the children
- Health insurance costs
- Mandatory dues for unions
- Mandatory contributions to a retirement fund
- Cost of sharing daycare
- Cost of sharing uninsured medical expenses
Depending on the circumstances, the judge may also order the parents to
share expenses for childcare to enable the custodial parent to obtain
schooling or training for employment, traveling for
visitation, the children's educations, and any other special needs.
If you are in the midst of child support proceedings, it is important to
ensure you understand your rights and options. Our team at Claery &
Green, LLP is dedicated to serving our clients with exceptional representation
in all types of family court cases, and we can provide you with effective
advocacy in your support hearing.
In some cases, situations change and
modifications are needed to the original support order. If you need to modify your support
order, an experienced attorney from our firm can assist you in filing
the necessary paperwork and advocate on your behalf before the judge.
No matter the factors of your unique circumstances, you can be confident
that our attorneys will provide the caring and attentive legal counsel
you deserve. Call today to discuss your child support matter with a member
of our proven team!