Narcissism is by definition: extreme selfishness, and a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration. Narcissistic traits may mean that a person is a true narcissist or that the person has the same traits; in any event any relationship, including a
marriage, will likely be destructive and unhealthy if these traits are present. A narcissist is incapable of feeling guilt; This makes narcissists especially dangerous to be in a relationship with.
According to a checklist by S. Weiner for the Huff. Post, there are specific signs to look for to see if narcissism exists within a charming facade. The following are signs that you are married to or in a relationship with a narcissist:
1) Your spouse gets defensive if and when you express your own needs.
2) Your spouse has a "fair-weather" presence. When the going gets tough, your spouse simply gets going. Perhaps it will be physical departure or maybe an emotional departure.
3)Your spouse reacts with anger instead of sadness if he or she gets upset.
4) Your spouse sends you mixed emotional signs — one minute adoring and loving you and then suddenly aloof and distant.
5) Your spouse is a perpetual "free-spirit" refusing to discuss and adhere to true emotional commitment.
6) Your spouse lacks integrity- He or she is not true to his or her word.
You should always pursue a happy and healthy marriage. Make sure to surround yourself with those who will create a genuine environment. Distance yourself from the situation and seek help from a therapist if you see the above signs.
If you are seeking a divorce or
legal separation from a narcissist, it is imperative to have an advocate on your side.
Contact a Los Angeles divorce lawyer with any questions you may have.