As divorce attorneys, our goal is to help people have a divorce that they
can feel good about after all is said and done. To accomplish this, it
takes teamwork. We have found that the best way to get our clients on
board is to impress upon them the importance of
When people are uneducated about California’s
divorce laws and how the divorce process works, they can make grave mistakes that
can affect them for years to come.
In the face of divorce, spouses need to: learn about it, learn what they
can realistically expect, they need to decide on their deal breakers,
and what the impact of their decisions would be in 1, 5 and 10 years down the road.
Many spouses think, “I don’t want to be married anymore,”
but they don’t put enough thought into child custody and property
division. They don’t consider the long-term ramifications of say,
taking a job in another state while they’re still married, or moving
out of the family home when they actually want custody of their children.
A savvy spouse who is planning on divorcing will begin their journey by
doing their due diligence, by researching. Their divorce education begins by:
- Consulting others about their divorces
- Interviewing attorneys to learn what they can realistically expect
- Reading books about divorce
- Learning what not to say or do on social media
- Learning divorce etiquette
- Taking the advice of their legal team
- Consulting with financial professionals
- Taking the knowledge they learned and preparing for divorce
- Taking the high road and not saying negative things about their spouse
Our message here is that in the event of a divorce,
education is key. What you negotiate in your divorce will affect your life for years to
come, and you don’t want to find this out the hard way.
You can look back and regret how you handled your divorce, or you can revel
in the decisions that you made. By educating yourself and strategizing
your divorce, you will not only save a lot of money, but you will be in
much better control of your future.
To speak with an experienced Los Angeles divorce attorney for free,
contact Claery & Green, LLP today!