Post-Judgment Modifications: An Overview

Few things in life ever remain completely the same. In regards to family law in particular, it's not uncommon for things to change in the years following a divorce. Parents might be earning a different level of income, they may have suffered a serious injury or have been diagnosed with a debilitating illness, or they have remarried or relocated to another city or state. Fortunately, family law judges recognize this, and are often willing to change a court-order after a divorce has already been settled. When a judge agrees to change or amend an existing divorce settlement or court order, it is referred to as a post-judgment modification.

There are three main types of post-judgment modifications:

As a general rule, people must prove that a significant change in circumstances has occurred that warrants amending an existing court-order. This might include a sudden injury, a death in the family, an unexpected job loss, a remarriage, or a medical condition that makes it difficult to work or care for children.

If you are interested in modifying a court-order, but are unsure of how to go about it or whether or not you even qualify for a modification, please feel free to consult a Los Angeles divorce attorney at Claery & Hammond, LLP. At our firm, we have a great deal of experience in all areas of California family law, and have helped numerous clients throughout Los Angeles seek modifications. We know a successful modification can make a huge difference in your life, which is why we are so committed to doing everything we can to ensure your request for a modification is granted.

To arrange a consultation to discuss your situation in more detail, contact the office at (310) 817-6904 today!