Spousal Support & Alimony
Los Angeles Divorce Attorneys
Spousal support, commonly referred to as alimony, is one aspect of divorce that will require an attorney’s help. Under California law, both men and women wishing to divorce may be entitled to spousal support depending upon their financial circumstances. Spousal support can be awarded to one spouse for a short amount of time, long-term, or to fulfill a specific purpose.
In some marriages, one partner holds a steady job and is responsible for earning a large percentage of the family’s income while the other partner either works part time or has the duty of caring for children and maintaining the household. When there is a significant variance in the earning potential of one spouse from the other, the spouse who earns less may wish to seek spousal support from the other. Alimony is a monthly payment that covers every day expenses and ensures the financial security of a person after a divorce or separation.
What factors affect spousal support?
The courts consider a number of factors when determining how much, if any, spousal support to award in a divorce.
- The length of the marriage
- The health and age of each spouse
- Each spouse's earning capacity
- Each spouse's needs based on their standards of living during the marriage
- Each spouse's separate property, assets, and financial obligations
- Whether one spouse helped the other obtain a degree, a career, or a professional license
- The supported spouse's ability to care for the children while working
- Whether the supported spouse's earning capacity is impaired because of extended periods of unemployment while caring for the home or children
- The balance of hardship between the spouses
Los Angeles Spousal Support & Alimony Lawyers
Spousal support may be temporary or permanent, depending upon the needs of each spouse. There are a number of factors that will determine the length of time spousal support will be provided for, and the amount of spousal support to be given. Your spousal support order could have widespread implications upon your life after divorce, so it is important to have an experienced Los Angeles divorce lawyer from Claery & Green, LLP advocating on your behalf.
If you are interested in obtaining spousal support following the dissolution of your marriage, or if you want to make sure your rights are protected, call our team at Claery & Green, LLP. The attorneys at our law firm are experienced in negotiating and establishing spousal support in situations of divorce, and they will work hard to get you the financial support you need to ensure your previous way of life.
For help with spousal support and alimony, contact a Los Angeles Divorce Attorney at Claery & Green, LLP. Call us at (310) 817-6904!