Divorce is one of the most emotionally fraught events that you may go through in your life. It is difficult, frightening, and traumatic. But at the same time, it can also be one of the best and most liberating things that anyone can do for themselves. One of the things that can make a divorce easier is by hiring an attorney that works well with your needs. However, part of what makes a good attorney/client relationship is how, you, the client, prepares.
Am I a good client in my divorce?
But, what makes a good divorce client? Did you do everything you could to contribute to the outcome of this divorce?
A good divorce client is characterized by:
- Organizational skills when meeting with an attorney
- Keeping up communication without over-calling or emailing
- Having reasonable expectations
- Trusting your attorney to guide you through the legal system
- Recognizing the need to be flexible in what you seek from the divorce
- Working with a therapist for your emotional needs
- Assisting your lawyer by providing the documents and information they need
Divorce can be tough. Both parties will be spending less time with their children and giving up property they may have owned for decades. The finalization of a divorce can seem daunting, but when you work with a seasoned lawyer, you can be confident knowing they have your best interests in mind.