Types of Divorce in California
Los Angeles Divorce Lawyers
When a couple has made the decision to end their marriage, there are more options available to them than simply battling it out in divorce court. While litigation is definitely an option for settling a divorce, there are other options that are far more constructive, less expensive and less time consuming. If you are considering filing for divorce, we invite you to contact our Los Angeles divorce attorneys to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.
Types of Divorce in California
The main types of divorce proceedings in California include:
- Divorce Mediation: During mediation you and your spouse will meet with a neutral mediator who will assist you in resolving the various issues of your divorce, such as child custody, child support, property division, and alimony. The mediator will not issue a ruling, but rather help foster communication between you and your ex and help you work through any differences so you're able to settle your divorce. Mediation is designed to be much less stressful and emotional draining than a divorce litigated in court and is much more cost-effective than litigation.
- Arbitration: During arbitration, an arbitrator is given the task of resolving the issues in a divorce instead of judge, however the arbitrator's role is very similar to that of a judge. Arbitration tends to be less formal than litigation, however arbitration is usually binding, which means an arbitrator's decision cannot be appealed. It should be mentioned that the parties can tell the arbitrator what rules they would like him or her to follow; they don't have that option in litigation.
- Contested Divorce/Litigation: When a couple cannot amicably resolve their divorce their case will be sent to divorce court for litigation. Litigation can quickly become highly contentious, and it may take months before even one issue can successfully be resolved. Not only is litigation more emotionally draining and stressful, but it tends to be much more expensive due to the amount of time it takes to resolve the divorce through litigation.
- Uncontested Divorce: Uncontested divorce is general term applied to any divorce in which the parties are able to amicably and without conflict resolve or settle their divorce. These kinds of proceedings are very similar to collaborative divorces.
Get Help from Claery & Hammond, LLP
Founding partner Lance Claery and attorney Eli Hammond are distinguished divorce lawyers in Los Angeles who have effectively represented countless clients during their divorce and family court proceedings. Our firm is highly respected in the community, and we are dedicated to obtaining the best possible results for our valued clients.
Our other family law practice areas include:
- Contested Divorce
- Divorce Mediation
- Child Custody
- Domestic Violence
- Fathers’ Rights
- Paternity Actions
- Grandparents’ Rights
- Marital Settlement Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Post-Judgment Modifications
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Restraining Orders
If you are interested in learning more about filing for divorce, please take a moment to contact Claery & Hammond, LLP at (310) 817-6904. One of our experienced Los Angeles divorce attorneys would be happy to meet with you to discuss your options and what it is you hope to achieve by the end of the divorce process.