Can the Children Leave the State During our Court Case?

Clients often ask if the children can leave the state when they have a pending dissolution or child custody matter. The answer is no.

If you have an open action with the Superior Court of California, the children are prohibited from leaving the state. You must have written permission from the other party and/or a court order allowing the children to leave. If either party removes the children without permission, they are violating a court order and may be found in contempt of court.

If you have questions about how this type of court order can affect you, contact Claery & Hammond, LLP today.