Third Party Visitation- How Does it Work?

Are you a third party that would like visitation with children after a divorce? Third party visitation cases are taken on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes the courts will get involved in enforcing visitation time if it is in the best interests of the child. If you want to explore the option of court-ordered visitation in your case, don't hesitate to contact the firm right away to learn more.

What is a third party in visitation cases?

A third party can include:

  • The unmarried partner of a child's parent
  • An aunt or uncle
  • A cousin
  • A close friend

Here's an example of third party visitation: Imagine that your best friend is getting a divorce. You have become like a second mother to your best friend's children. They call you an "auntie" and love spending time with you. You have a very close emotional bond with them and do not want this to be cut off. Unfortunately, your best friend's ex-spouse receives full custody of the children. You can petition for visitation in order to secure time with the kids. Sometimes, a parent may be willing to let you spend time with the children without a visitation order. These orders are only necessary in situations where the custodial parent is opposed to your relationship with the children and you wish to enforce it.

Allow Claery & Hammond to Help You

If you are involved in a divorce or are worried about losing your relationship with the kids, don't hesitate to call our firm for assistance. At Claery & Hammond, we are compassionate towards all parties affected bydivorce and want to be of-service. Allow us to represent you in your case and advocate for your best interests. Call today to talk with one of our seasoned attorneys!