Summary Dissolution for Domestic Partners

If you are in a domestic partnership, you may be interested in getting divorce quickly and easily through a "summary dissolution." In that case, you may not need to go to court, however, it's always in your best interests to discuss your case with a divorce attorney about how to end your domestic partnership.

Not everyone qualifies for a summary dissolution; according to the California Courts, most people have to seek a standard divorce.

When a domestic partnership is registered in California, the domestic partners are not required to meet any residency requirements. This means that you can proceed with a summary dissolution in California, even if you and your partner are now living in another state.

Please note that summary dissolutions are divorces, they are NOT the same as a legal separation.

Do we qualify for a summary dissolution?

In order for your domestic partnership to qualify for a summary dissolution, you and your domestic partner must meet all of the following requirements:

  • You both desire to end your domestic partnership.
  • On the date that you file your Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership, you will not have been registered domestic partners for more than 5 years.
  • No children have been born or adopted during your domestic partnership.
  • Neither you, nor your partner are pregnant.
  • Neither of you own any land or buildings.
  • Neither of you are renting any land or buildings, except for your home, and you not in a 1-year lease.
  • Since the date of your domestic partnership, you and your partner do not owe more than $6,000 in debts (not including auto loans).
  • You both agree that neither of you want partner support.
  • You both agree to sign a written agreement about dividing your property and debts.

It is not easy to qualify for a summary dissolution. Whether you do meet the above requirements or need to obtain a regular divorce, we invite you to reach out to a Los Angeles divorce lawyer at Claery & Hammond, LLPfor further advice and legal support.

Contact our firm today for a complimentary consultation!