Changing Your Name Post-Divorce

Are you in the process of getting divorced? If so, you may be curious about how to change your last name back to your maiden name.

In most cases, this change is easily accomplished. As long as it is included in your divorce decree, the judge will make a formal order to restore your birth name. You will need several copies of this order to change your name back legally on documents such as driver's license and insurance cards. If for some reason your divorce decree does not include a request to change your name, you will need to fill out certain forms in order to accomplish this. In the state of California, for example, this form is called Ex Parte Application for Restoration of Former Name After Entry of Judgment of Order (FL-395).

Most states require proof of your former name, such as from a birth certificate or passport. With this in hand, you should be able to resume your former name without much trouble.

Going through a divorce? Have questions on your mind? Get advice and answers when you contact Claery & Hammond to discuss your situation with one of our experienced Los Angeles family law attorneys.