Seeking Child Support Modifications

Child support modifications are possible, but they are not always easy to obtain. While courts prefer for the two parents to discuss a modification on their own and then bring the revised child support order to court, this is not always possible. At times, a judge must step in and decide whether a modification will be granted and how.

If this happens, both parties will be asked to present their case to the court. Generally, the person who is asking for the order will need to make a greater effort to convince the judge that the child support order needs to be changed. This can be done for several reasons, such as the inability to pay, a temporary medical hardship of the parent or a medical emergency of the child. For these cases, a temporary modification may be granted. In other cases, such as when a parent remarries or laws regarding child support change, a permanent modification could be granted to both parties.

Should you have questions related to child support modifications, don't wait to contact Claery & Hammond, LLP to get answers from a Los Angeles family law attorney from our firm. We are more than willing to listen to your case and provide you with insight.