Legal Separation and Temporary Support

Did you know that if you are separating from your spouse, you can request temporary child support and/or spousal support? These payments can help you and your child financially during the separation period and are usually outlined in a separation agreement. A separation agreement is like a divorce settlement but is only binding during the period of separation. However, once either party initiates a divorce or decides to give the marriage another try, the temporary separation agreement is deemed invalid.

Keep in mind, a judge must approve a separation agreement when it comes to matters of child support, spousal support, child custody and division of property/debts. Since most states will only grant child support payments when a divorce order has been finalized by the court, it may be wise to seek a temporary order if you plan to separate. Just like a divorce agreement, a temporary agreement must also be approved by the court. For this reason, you'll want to work with a Los Angeles family lawyer from our team who can help you create the agreement before you show it to a judge for approval.

To enlist our help and guidance, contact Claery & Hammond, LLP today and set up your initial case evaluation.