Back to School Precautions: Are You on the Emergency Contact List?

Your children are about to go back to school, which means that there will be forms to fill out before the school year commences. As August progresses, more and more schools are beginning their education year. If you are a co-parent or do not have custody of your children, you want to make sure that you are informed in case of an emergency. If your ex-spouse did not put you as an emergency contact on forms, then you will want to take legal action in order to change this immediately. Chances are that you will be able to call your child's school and check forms to make sure that you are listed as an emergency contact.

If you are not, then you should first contact your ex-spouse and explain your concerns. If he or she does not respond graciously, then you will need to take legal action. A Los Angeles family lawyer at Claery & Hammond can assist you in your case and help you to get the representation you need and the court assistance necessary. You will want to make sure to take this issue seriously. In the event that your child is severely injured, you want to be notified.

Without an emergency contact, an accident may occur and you may not hear until days or weeks after the incident has taken place. Also, if your ex-spouse is not available at the time that an emergency takes place, then your child may be left without a parent to comfort him or her in his or her hour of need. Chances are that if you can prove to the court that you should be an emergency contact because it is in the best interests of the child, then you will be able to achieve this desire. Contact a lawyer at the firm immediately for more information!