Skip to Content
Claery & Hammond, LLP Claery & Hammond, LLP
Call Us Today! 310-817-6904

Divorce, Taxes, and Child Custody Exemptions

A Legal Team You Can Trust

Tax trouble? If you are in the midst of a divorce things can get complicated when filling out tax forms. It is important that parents follow the law when they claim a dependency exemption for a child following a divorce. According to the ABQ Journal, the IRS has a form which is used when a custodial parent wants to release the exemption to a parent who does not have custody. This is Form 8332 and it is essential that parents fill out this form if they want an exemption after the divorce is finalized. It will make it clear that the custodial parent’s release is unequivocal.

In some cases, when a non-custodial parent is paying child support he or she can obtain an exemption for dependency for tax purposes with the help of a Form 8332. This form must be provided by the custodial parent to the non-custodial parent to be recognized by the IRS. If you need more information about the about taxes and exemption forms, you should consult with a professional Los Angeles family attorney. Oftentimes these divorce and tax issues can get extremely complicated. You don’t want to get stuck in a difficult place or lose your exemption claims because you did not file the right forms.

Complete this process right the first time by hiring an informed attorney to walk you through the process. Not only can a Los Angeles family attorney from Claery & Hammond help you to deal with your divorce and tax issues, but these lawyers can assist you in child custody battles, property division negotiations and spousal support or alimony settlements. The lawyers at this firm are here to help you with all of your divorce needs, so don’t hesitate to contact them today for help!

Contact Us Today

Put Your Case in Qualified Hands
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy
  • Featured Los Angeles Times Family Law Practitioners 

  • We Provide Unique, Tailor-Made Solutions for Each Client

  • We Offer a Free Initial Case Consultation
  • Our Team Has Over 50 Years of Combined Experience
  • Our  Attorneys Handle All Types of Family Court Issues
  • We Solely Focus on the Areas of Divorce and Family Law