Changing your Child's School for Next Year

If you are co-parenting with an ex-spouse, then you will need to inform them if you plan to switch the school that your child is going to attend next year. In some cases, you may have the authority to choose a school on your own, but you may need to share the responsibility of educational choices with another spouse. In most states, parents who want to modify their child's educational arrangements need to prove that there has been a change of circumstances which warrants the change. For example, you may be able to argue that your child is graduating to a new grade and needs to attend a new school that provides teaching for that grade.

Also, you can argue that a school change is necessary if your child has become increasingly interested in a particular sport or artistic talent and wants to go to an educational facility that is well-known for their sports or arts programs. Also, if your child is having a hard time at school and wants to switch, this may be a legitimate reason. Family courts are instructed to always act in the best interests of the children, rather than act based on the parent's wishes. Sometimes, if a child switches schools this may also result in changing a custody or visitation schedule. You will want to discuss this option with your ex-spouse and may need to get a Los Angeles family attorney involved if things are proving to be difficult.

Teenagers typically have their own say in the matter when it comes to switching schools. A teen can petition to switch schools and normally parents will need to rearrange their visitation rights for the child around that teenager's wishes. Children that are still in elementary school or even junior high school may need to work with their parents and the courts in order to change schools. Things can become more complicated when the school is a boarding school or is in another district or county. If you want more information about school issues, hire a lawyer at Claery & Hammond today. You will want the lawyers at this firm to assist you immediately. If you don't get started now, you may not be able to get these arrangements worked out by the time school starts back up in August.