Collecting Your Family Law Money Judgment

If you are granted a family law money judgment, you will need to collect it for yourself from the debtor. The court will not supervise the collection of this judgment for you.

According to the Los Angeles Superior Court, you can start collecting your judgment as soon as the judgment has been entered. You can check your court records to determine whether or not it has been entered. Also, you will need to confirm that there is no automatic stay on the finances that you intend to collect.

Common Delays for Family Law Money Judgments

For example, if there is a suspension or postponement on the enforcement of the order due to an appeal, the stay from a bankruptcy case, or another legal action, then you may not be able to collect the money from your ex right away.

To make sure that you continue to receive installments of your money judgments, you should give your former spouse or domestic partner an address where he or she can mail the payment. You can also offer to accept less than the whole judgments from your former spouse right away. In addition, you have the right to agree to take regular payments if you would prefer to do this.

If your former spouse or partner does not pay you on the court-ordered date, then you can write him or her a letter and include a copy of the court order. If this does not do anything to help your case, then you can remind your former partner or spouse that he or she owes you money. If the individual continues to refuse to pay the debt, then you may need to take drastic measures including hiring a lawyer to help you collect the money. This may even involve a formal lawsuit.

Contact a Los Angeles family attorney from Claery & Hammond, LLP today to learn more.