Domestic Partnership Frequently Asked Questions

Below, you will find a few commonly asked questions related to domestic partnership in the state of California:

If I live in California, how do I register my domestic partnership?

In the state of California, same-sex partners and couples with one partner who is 62 years of age or older are eligible for domestic partnership registration. Couples may register with the state by completing a Declaration of Domestic Partnership Form NP/SF DP-1. Both signatures on the application must be notarized and a fee will be payable to the Secretary of State.

Will I have to re-register as laws change and affect domestic partnerships?

In the past, domestic partners have not been required to re-register as laws have changed. However, it is hard to predict what may happen in the future. In the event that re-registration is required, it is always a wise idea to make sure your address is current with the Secretary of State to ensure you are kept informed.

How can I terminate my domestic partnership?

In order to terminate a domestic partnership in California, you will have to initiate a dissolution proceeding with the Superior Court. This can be accomplished on your own or with the help of a family law attorney.

If you have additional questions related to domestic partnership in California, contact Claery & Hammond, LLP to speak with a Los Angeles family lawyer.